Allison Schmitt from Canton set an Olympic record in winning gold at the 200-meter freestyle today at the Olympic Games in London, according to an Associated Press report.
Schmitt's 1:53.61 finish shaved more than a second off the mark set by Italy’s Federica Pellegrini four years ago in Beijing, the AP reported.
Schmitt will have a chance to add to her hardware collection Wednesday in the 4 x 200 freestyle relay on Wednesday. The preliminary heats start at 5:26 a.m. EST with the final set for 5:04 p.m. EST.
See More on Patch
- 31st Annual Canton Cup Soccer Tournament Returns Memorial Day Weekend
- Plymouth, Canton, Salem Release 2013 Football Schedules
- Canton Beats Plymouth for District Title in Basketball
- Whalers' Alex Nedeljkovic Named OHL Goaltender and Rookie of the Month
- Plymouth-Canton Wrestlers Compete at State Finals in Auburn Hills