Friday Political Forum Features Canton Township, County, State Candidates
The Muslim Community of Western Suburbs (Canton Mosque) is hosting the event in coordination with the Michigan Muslim Community Council.
Local residents and interested voters are invited to the Muslim Community of Western Suburbs (Canton Mosque) 8:15 p.m. Friday to meet and ask questions of candidates running for township, county and state positions.
"There will be a short introduction by one of the board members of the Mosque," said Muhi Khwaja, 27, who organized the forum. "After that we'll just do a short intro by each of the candidates. Then there will be two rounds of questions for the candidates and a short response from each as well."
Khwaja said the rest of the forum will be open for audience questions.
The Canton Mosque is cooperating with the Michigan Muslim Community Council (MMCC) for the forum. MMCC, which sponsored other candidate forums, organizes the Muslim community in Michigan to value social justice and human rights in America while educating and connecting across communities.
Khwaja, who ran for Plymouth-Canton Community Schools' board of education last year, said he organized the forum to stay and encourage others to be involved in the community.
Invited candidates include:
- Tom Yack (R) - cannot attend
- John Anthony (R) - attending
- Pat Williams (R) - attending
- Steve Sneideman (D) - attending
- Greg Demopoulos (R) - attending
Michigan House of Representatives (21st District)
- Dian Slavens (D) - attending
- Joe Barnabei (R) - waiting for response
Michigan House of Representatives (20th District)
- Tim Roraback (D) - attending
- Kurt Heise (R) - cannot attend
- Special Election - Dave Curson (D) - attending
- Syed Taj (D) - waiting for response
- Kerry Bentivolio (R) - waiting for response
Wayne County Commissioner
- James Amar (D) - attending
- Shannon Price (R) - waiting for response
The candidate forum is 8:15 to 10 p.m. Friday at the Canton Mosque, 40440 Palmer Road, in the gymnasium of the west building.
This story was updated at 11:30 a.m. Thursday to correct the local races.