Mild Temperatures Greet Day 2 of the Plymouth Ice Festival
Ice sculptures succumb to warmer temperatures as crowds pack Kellogg Park.
Even with mid-40s temperatures rapidly eroding intricate ice carvings downtown, crowds turned out in droves to participate in winter-themed activities and to watch ice carvers hard at work.
Collegiate Ice Carving Winners:
1st place: Paul Nuznov from Henry Ford Community College - "Ruckus Roboticus"
2nd place: Lindsay Wood from Oakland Community College
- "Flying Fish"
3rd place: Marsye Richards from Oakland Community College - "Chameleon"
2013 Plymouth Ice Festival Guide:
Plymouth-Canton Patch will be providing updates from the festival throughout the weekend, but here's what you need to know before heading out this weekend:
- View the full list of Plymouth Ice Festival events
- Maps, parking and what to know before heading out
- Getting there: Downtown road closures and detours
- Ice rink opens in downtown Plymouth
- Get Ice Festival updates on your mobile device
- Plymouth-Canton Patch's Plymouth Ice Festival news hub
Today's Ice Festival Schedule:
Sunday, Jan. 20: Kellogg Park Area
10 a.m. to 6 p.m.: Festival open
- Greenhills School Ice Skating Rink in Kellogg Park
- DTE Energy Hot Spot demo and market area
- Blue Care Network of Michigan Family Fun Winter Sports Zone presented by Sun and Snow Sports in Kellogg Park
- Interactive sculptures and ice carvings available for viewing and photo opportunities in and around downtown Plymouth
1 p.m. to 4 p.m.: Free arts and crafts projects provided by Tutor Time of Plymouth in the DTE Energy Hot Spot
1 p.m. to 3 p.m.: Sun and Snow Sports Winter Fashion Show on the Community Financial Main Stage
- The Winter Fashion show highlights New Year trends for outerwear by brands such as Lole and Icebreaker! Learn all about the new looks, get your gear questions answered and score some free giveaways!
4:30 p.m.: College Team Carving Competition Awards Ceremony on the Community Financial Main Stage
6 p.m.: Main festival area closes for the weekend
Sunday, Jan. 20: Forest Avenue Area
10 a.m. to 6 p.m.: ACO Hardware Made in Michigan Marketplace on Forest Avenue
10 a.m. to 6 p.m.: Snow Playland on Forest Avenue presented by EG Nicks
- Build a snowman
- Make a snow angel
- Build an igloo
- Or whatever your imagination can come up with!
* schedule subject to change
Weather forecast: Cold and partly cloudy
- Sunday: High: 24°; Breezy. Partly cloudy. Low: 13°; Mostly cloudy.
Share your Ice Festival photos
We'll be at the Plymouth Ice Festival throughout the weekend, but we also want to see photos from your Ice Fest exploits. Upload your photos throughout the weekend right here on Plymouth-Canton Patch!