Editor's Note: All reviews and information aggregated from Moviefone. Want to add your own review? Share your thoughts in the comments or start a blog!
- Run Time: 165min.
- Starring: Jamie Foxx , Leonardo DiCaprio ,Christoph Waltz , Samuel L. Jackson , Gerald McRaney
- Director(s): Quentin Tarantino
"A sharp shock of a film in an Awards season very full of movies so noble they become immobile. It's wildly unlikely to get much love from the Academy, and that's fine-bluntly, it's too good for them. With its bloody stew of history and hysteria, action taken from movies and atrocities taken from fact, Django isn't just a movie only America could make-it's also a movie only America needs to." Boxoffice Magazine. Full Review.
"Exactly what you might expect from the fearless, controversial director of "Pulp Fiction" - it's overlong, raunchy, shocking, grim, exaggerated, self-indulgently over-the-top and so politically incorrect it demands a new definition of the term. It is also bold, original, mesmerizing, stylish and one hell of a piece of entertainment." Rex Reed of New York Observer. Full Review.
"Django Unchained also has the pure, almost meaningless excitement which I found sorely lacking in Tarantino's previous film, Inglourious Basterds, with its misfiring spaghetti-Nazi trope and boring plot. I can only say Django delivers, wholesale, that particular narcotic and delirious pleasure that Tarantino still knows how to confect in the cinema, something to do with the manipulation of surfaces. It's as unwholesome, deplorable and delicious as a forbidden cigarette." Peter Bradshaw of The Guardian. Full Review.
- - - - -
- Run Time: 157min.
- Starring: Hugh Jackman , Russell Crowe , Anne Hathaway , Helena Bonham Carter , Sacha Baron Cohen
- Director(s): Tom Hooper
"Stirring and striking, Hooper's epic musical won't be wanting for awards and plaudits. Danny Cohen's cinematography is stunning and Hathaway's Oscar is guaranteed." Neil Smith of Total Film. Full Review.
"Russell Crowe's pained vocal stylings (they sound more like barks) as relentless Inspector Javert can be forgiven after hearing Hugh Jackman's old-pro fluidity in the central role of Jean Valjean, hiding a criminal past." Joshua Rothkopf of Time Out New York. Full Review.
"Fortunately, this sprawling epic is well-anchored. There cannot be a better big-screen showman than Jackman." Elizabeth Weitzman of New York Daily News. Full Review.
- - - - -
- Starring: Tom Cruise , Rosamund Pike , Robert Duvall , Werner Herzog , Richard Jenkins
- Director(s): Christopher McQuarrie
"In terms of pure pop entertainment value, you'll be hard-pressed to find a more smartly constructed, beautifully shot, pulse-pounding movie this holiday season." Drew Taylor of The Playlist. Full Review.
"A superior thriller, with Cruise and McQuarrie slotting together like a bullet in a clip. Like Reacher on the firing range, the aim isn't always true – but the misses are fractional." James Mottram of Total Film. Full Review.
"Tom Cruise is in fine form as mysterious tough guy Jack Reacher finally reaches the big screen." Todd McCarthy of The Hollywood Reporter. Full Review
- - - - -
- Run Time: 140min
- Starring:Matt Damon , John Krasinski , Frances McDormand , Rosemarie DeWitt , Scoot McNairy
- Director(s):Gus Van Sant
"Krasinki's soft-sell script, lets the movie's ideas get absorbed without grandstanding or pretension. Its issues go down with a smile and common sense, which turns out to be exactly the right formula." Joe Neumaier of New York Daily News. Full Review.
"Though the film eventually caves to sentiment and stereotype, its alert performances and muted rhythms offer much to enjoy in the interim." Jeanette Catsoulis of NPR. Full Review.
"Director Gus Van Sant finds the human side of a knotty issue. No polemics. Just the face of a new America in crisis." Peter Travers of Rolling Stone. Full Review.
- - - - -
Monsters, Inc. 3-D
- Run Time: 92min.
- Starring: John Goodman , Billy Crystal , Mary Gibbs ,Steve Buscemi , James Coburn
- Director(s): Pete Docter , Lee Unkrich
"It's the Pixar animators who keep grown-ups as riveted as the kids with visual marvels that dazzle and delight." Peter Travers of Rolling Stone. Full Review.
"There hasn't been a film in years to use creative energy as efficiently as Monsters, Inc." A.O. Scott of The New York Times. Full Review.
"Who doesn't need what this movie has to give?" Joe Morgenstern of Wall Street Journal. Full Review.
- - - - -
At the Penn Theatre:
- Run time: 120min
- Starring: Ben Affleck , Bryan Cranston , Alan Arkin ,John Goodman , Taylor Schilling
- Director: Ben Affleck
"Argo the real movie about the fake movie, is both spellbinding and surprisingly funny." Roger Ebert of Chicago Sun-Times. Full Review.
"Argo is a triumph. It has tension, sincerity, mystery, artistic responsibility, entertainment value, technical expertise, a narrative arc and a thrilling respect for the tradition of how to tell a story with minimum frills and maximum impact. It's a great footnote to history, one of the best films of 2012 and a sure-fire contender on Oscar night." Red Reed of New York Observer. Full Review.
"A superbly crafted and darkly funny real-life political thriller, with pitch-perfect performances." Claudia Pulg of USA Today. Full Review
See More on Patch
- 'Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition' Filming in Plymouth This Month
- Crowds Flock to 'Love and Honor' Premiere at Penn Theatre
- 'Love and Honor' Film Adapts City Official's Experience Going AWOL
- Not Your Usual Concert: Local Brass Band Prepares for Annual Festival
- Contest: Share Your Love of Local Art, Win Tickets to the Festival of Bands
Most Popular articles
- Canton Teen Cited for Open House Party After Police Find 50 Teens in Basement
- 66 Crimes Reported in Canton This Week
- Man Arrested on Charges of Possession of Crack Cocaine During Canton Traffic Stop
- 700 Pounds of Copper Stolen From Plymouth Township Business
- Plymouth-Canton School Board Authorizes Issuance of First Bond Series