Flu season is coming early in parts of the United States: This time last year, flu cases were lower in Michigan than they are now, according to data on Google's Flu Trends. (Specific data for the Farmington area is not available on Flu Trends.)
Overall in Michigan, activity is considered high now, while it was low at this time in 2011, according to Flu Trends.
If you're considering getting a flu shot, here are some Plymouth and Canton-area locations that offer the vaccine:
- CVS/Pharmacy Store #8208 (49485 Ann Arbor Road, Plymouth)
- CVS/Pharmacy Store #103 (44300 Five Mile Road, Northville)
- CVS/Pharmacy Store #8085 (1400 Sheldon Road, Plymouth)
- CVS/Pharmacy Store $8167 (7269 Canton Center, Canton)
- CVS/Pharmacy Store #8190 (45300 Cherry Hill, Canton)
- CVS/Pharmacy Store #8077 (40900 Ann Arbor Road, Plymouth)
- CVS/Pharmacy Store #8225 (1791 S. Haggerty Road, Canton)
- Rite Aid #3657 (800 W. Ann Arbor Road, Plymouth)
- Rite Aid #4829 (2249 N. Canton Center Road, Canton)
- Rite Aid #4927 (180 Lilley Road, Canton)
- Rite Aid #7824 (4151 S. Canton Center, Canton)
- Kroger Pharmacy (1905 Canton Center Road, Canton)
- Kroger Pharmacy (44525 Ann Arbor Road, Plymouth)
- Kroger Pharmacy (45540 Michigan Ave., Canton)
- Meijer (45001 Ford Road, Canton)
- Walgreens (44300 Ford Road, Canton)
- Target Pharmacy (43670 Ford Road, Canton)
- Target Pharmacy (47330 Michigan Ave., Canton)
- Kmart Pharmacy (40855 Ann Arbor Road, Plymouth)
According to this week's CDC Flu activity report, influenza levels are on the increase across the country.
Five states – Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee – are reporting flu rates not normally seen until January, according to the Centers for Disease Control. The flu season normally peaks in January and February.
Holiday travel and more time spent indoors due to soggy weather will contribute to the spread of the flu virus, so now is the time to get vaccinated.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers the following information:
- Who should get vaccinated
- When to get vaccinated
- Selecting a flu vaccine
- Symptoms, complications and severity
- Treatment if you get the flu
- How flu spreads
Farmington-Farmington Hills Patch editor Joni Hubred-Golden and Plymouth-Canton Patch editor John McKay contributed to this report.
See More on Patch
Most Popular articles
- Canton Man Dies in Ohio Car Crash Hours After His Wedding
- 66 Crimes Reported in Canton This Week
- Canton Senior Fighting Ongoing Battle with Brain Cancer Turns Grad Party into Fundraiser
- Canton Teen Cited for Open House Party After Police Find 50 Teens in Basement
- Canton Farmers Market Opening Day Draws 1,000 People