Growing up with immigrant grandparents, Rima Belau always heard stories of their early struggles.
Now the interior designer and owner of Rima Designs is doing something to help ease the struggles of others: hosting a furniture drive to benefit Humble Design.
Founded in 2009, Humble Design is a local metro-Detroit charity that assists families coming out of homeless and abuse shelters with the process of rebuilding their home lives.
"I saw them in Metro Parent and me being an interior designer, it just clicked," Belau said. "I believe that a good home is where great things start."The drive will be held on Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the small alleyway next to the Penn Bar & Grill.
Belau will be accepting all sorts of furniture and household items, including sofas, sleepers, beds, coffee tables, lamps, bedding, towels and even children's books.
As an incentive to participate, those that donate will receive one of Belau's business cards, which will double as a discount card at several downtown Plymouth restaurants and retailers.
- 10 percent off food at The Penn Bar & Grill (same day)
- 20 percent off purchases at That's Awesome (same day)
- 20 percent off chemical peel at Skin Rejuvenation Center (must schedule appointment by Jan. 1)
- 10 percent off food at Greek Islands (same day)
- 10 percent off food at Sean O'Callaghan's (same day)
- 15 percent off food at Omelet & Waffle Café (same day)
- 20 percent off unlimited yoga sessions for one month at Home of Balance Yoga Therapy (must schedule appointment by Jan. 1)
- 10 percent off food through the month of January at Panache 447