Canton Township is offering a refuge from the frigid temperatures at its Summit on the Park.
Summit on the Park, 46000 Summit Parkway in Canton, has opened as a warming center from 5:30 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday through Friday, 6 a.m.-8 p.m. Saturday and 6 a.m.–7 p.m. Sunday.
Visitors are asked to sign in at the front desk. The telephone number for the Summit is (734) 394-5460.
Canton Township's Emergency Management Office also offered the following tips to prepare for severe winter weather:
- Keep a flashlight, a NOAA weather radio and a portable radio on hand along with extra batteries.
- Store extra food (canned or dried food is best), can opener, and bottled water (at least 3 gallons per person).
- Make sure each member of household has a warm coat, gloves, hat and water-resistant boots.
- Ensure that extra blankets and heavy clothes are available.
- Keep on hand items for infant, elderly or disabled family members.
- Be aware of potential fire and carbon monoxide hazards if you plan to use an emergency heating source such as a fireplace, wood stove or space heater.
- Don’t forget your pets – be sure to have suitable shelter with food and water when outdoors.
- Be careful and avoid overexertion such as shoveling heavy snow, pushing cars or walking in wet/deep/heavy snow.
- Walk carefully on snow and ice-covered surfaces.
- Wear loose-fitting, lightweight, layered clothing with a waterproof outer layer. Don’t forget a hat and gloves.
- Understand the hazards of wind chill.
- Have your vehicle winterized – have a mechanic check the antifreeze, tires, belts, hoses, battery, etc.
- Keep extra windshield washer fluid in your vehicle.
- Try to keep you fuel tank near full - gas stations may be closed during severe weather.
- Have an emergency supply kit in your trunk. Include flares, water, energy bars/nonperishable foods, blanket, shovel, jumper cables, maps, etc.)
For more information on how to prepare for severe weather, contact Canton’s Emergency Management Office, at (734) 394-5357, email email@example.com or visit its website at www.cantonpublicsafey.org.