It's the end of 2011 and another football season for college teams, plus a few NFL games to watch, too. We've got the scoop on what you need to know to cheer on your team, including these places open on New Year's Day, so you can catch the Lions take on the Packers at 1 p.m.
860 Fralick St. Plymouth
Doyle's is Plymouth's original Irish pub, and a great spot for sports fans to gather over a beer, burger and appetizers as they watch the game one of several big-screen televisions. They open at noon and will be open until midnight. And of course they're open Jan. 2 and beyond for all the bowl games and upcoming action.
195 W. Liberty St., Plymouth
Catch the game action at this classic neighborhood bar and grill. They have plenty of TVs so you won't miss any sports action, and the menu includes pub food staples such as fish and chips, chili, nachos, burgers, chicken fingers and more. Hermann's will be open noon to 2 a.m. New Year's Day.
840 W. Ann Arbor Trail, Plymouth
Big-screen TVs, pizza, barbecue, burgers and more await fans. Chill with some ribs or a sandwich, chase it with a couple beers and cheer on your favorite teams in this downtown Plymouth hot spot. They'll be open 12-12 on Jan. 1.
820 Penniman Ave., Plymouth
Penn will be open 11 a.m.-2 a.m. on Jan. 1. They advise stopping in to catch the game (or recover from New Year's Eve partying) while enjoying a Bloody Mary or Mimosa. Nibble on pub classics there as well, from pizza and cheese sticks and the like.
44282 Warren Road, Canton
Enjoy a steak or burger, bistro-type fare, as you watch the big game (or games) Jan. 1 or in the days following. They'll be open at noon New Year's Day, with the kitchen shutting down around 8 or 9 p.m., depending.
Order a beer or pop, grab a bite and cheer on your favorite teams.
And, of course we'd be remiss without mentioning the action that's coming up in the world of football:
Who: Michigan teams
- Spartans: The 12th-ranked Michigan State University Spartans (10-3, 7-1 Big Ten) will play No. 18 Georgia (10-3, 7-1 SEC) in the 26th annual Outback Bowl on Jan. 2 at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa.
- Wolverines: No. 13 University of Michigan (10-2, 6-2 Big 10) will face 17th-ranked Virginia Tech (11-2, 7-2 ACC) in the Allstate Sugar Bowl on Jan. 3 game at the Superdome in New Orleans.
What: The rest of the games
- Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl: Noon Dec. 30, ESPN, BYU vs. Tulsa
- New Era Pinstripe Bowl: 3:20 p.m. Dec. 30, ESPN, Rutgers vs. Iowa State
- Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl: 6:40 p.m. Dec. 30, ESPN, Mississippi State vs. Wake Forest
- Insight Bowl: 10 p.m. Dec. 30, ESPN, Iowa vs. (14) Oklahoma
- Meineke Car Care of Texas Bowl: Noon Dec. 31, ESPN, Texas A&M vs. Northwestern
- Hyundai Sun Bowl: 2 p.m. Dec. 31, CBS, Georgia Tech vs. Utah
- AutoZone Liberty Bowl: 3:30 p.m. Dec. 31, ABC, Cincinnati vs. Vanderbilt
- Kraft Fight Hunger: 3:30 p.m. Dec. 31, ESPN, Illinois vs. UCLA
- Chick-fil-A Bowl: 7:30 p.m. Dec. 31, ESPN, Virginia vs. (25) Auburn
- TicketCity Bowl: Noon Jan. 2, ESPNU, (19) Houston vs. (22) Penn State
- Outback Bowl: 1 p.m. Jan. 2, ABC, (17) Michigan State vs. (16) Georgia
- Capital One Bowl: 1 p.m. Jan. 2, ESPN, (20) Nebraska vs. (9) South Carolina
- NHL Winter Classic (outdoor hockey game): 1 p.m. Jan. 2, NBC, New York Rangers at Philadelphia Flyers at Citizens Bank Park
- Taxslayer.com Gator Bowl: 1 p.m. Jan. 2, ESPN2, Ohio State vs. Florida
- Rose Bowl Game presented by Vizio: 5 p.m. Jan. 2, ESPN, (10) Wisconsin vs. (5) Oregon
- Tostitos Fiesta Bowl: 8:30 p.m. Jan. 2, ESPN, (4) Stanford vs. (3) Oklahoma State
- Allstate Sugar Bowl: 8:30 p.m. Jan. 3, ESPN, (13) Michigan vs. (11) Virginia Tech
- Discover Orange Bowl: 8:30 p.m. Jan. 4, ESPN, (23) West Virginia vs. (15) Clemson
- AT&T Cotton Bowl: 8 p.m. Jan. 6, FOX, (8) Kansas State vs. (6) Arkansas
- BBVA Compass Bowl: 1 p.m. Jan. 7, ESPN, SMU vs. Pittsburgh
- GoDaddy.com Bowl: 9 p.m. Jan. 8, ESPN, Arkansas State vs. Northern Illinois
- Allstate BCS National Championship Game: 8:30 p.m. Jan. 9, ESPN, (1) LSU vs. (2) Alabama