Anthony Sewejkis, the stay-at-home father convicted in the near-fatal Dec. 7 abuse of his then-4-month-old son, Hunter, failed to persuade a judge from giving him the maximum sentence — 10-15 years in prison, the Canton Observer reported.
Sewejkis, 26, was of first-degree child abuse earlier this month for his role in the abuse, where he was accused of twice slamming his young son's head against the carpeted living room floor of the Michigan Avenue home in Canton he shared with the boy's 29-year-old mother, Leanne Garlick.
Garlick said as a cab driver in Ann Arbor when the incident occurred. She has since lost parental rights to Hunter, who remains partially blind and severely brain damaged, but is in the by his maternal grandparents, Sal and Theresa Alongi of Belleville.
According to the Observer's report, Wayne County Circuit Judge Margaret Van Houten said Sewejkis never sought help for Hunter after the infant was injured, waiting about three hours until Garlick returned home from work to take the infant to the hospital.
Under , new state legislation passed by the House in the wake of the death of four-year-old Dominick Calhoun of Argentine Township, first-degree child abuse offenders could face up to life in prison instead of the existing 15-year maximum sentence.
For more on Friday's sentencing, read the Observer's report.