Since opening its doors on June 7, 2006, Canton's IKEA—the only such store in Michigan—has drawn shoppers from around Michigan as well as other states and Canada. IKEA's eclectic and iconic products are rooted in Swedish founder Ingvar Kamprad's goal of providing low-cost useful products to consumers. Visitors can find find household items, furniture and other household goods and accessories.
The store also sells a limited amount of groceries, most with a Swedish connection. The first-floor fast-food counter specializes in 50-cent hot dogs and hot cinnamon rolls. A sit-down restaurant is on the store's second floor, near the furniture showrooms.
As for the store's name: IK stands for the founder's initials; E is for Elmtaryd, the name of the farm he lived on as a child and A is for Agunnaryd, his hometown.
Fans of the store can look for deal alerts on Twitter by following @IKEA_Canton.
- Hours: Store: Mon - Sat, 10am - 9pm (showroom opens at 10:30am); Sun, 11am - 7pm. Restaurant: Mon - Sat, 9:30am - 8:30pm; Sun, 10am - 6:30pm.
- Handicap Accessible: Curb cuts, elevators, ADA-compliant restrooms
- Founding Date: Jan. 1, 1943
- Payments accepted: American Express, Cash, Debit Card, Diner's Club, Discover, MasterCard, Store Credit Card, Visa
- Services: Classes, Delivery, Gift certificates, Repair, Shipping
- Return policy: Returns are allowed within 90 days, but must include original packaging and receipt. Refunds match the payment method. Bedding and certain other fabric items cannot be returned; mattresses may be returned once.
- Public restrooms: Yes
- Parking: Free lot
- Private events: No