Sunday, January 2, 2011
Aid for Westland after a disaster led this week's news.
The biggest news of the week happened when Canton firefighters – and dozens of other agencies from four counties and the state – rushed to aid Westland after an explosion at William C. Franks Furniture Store. A gas leak is the suspected cause of the blast. Two store employees, James Zell, 64, and Leslie Machniak, 54, both of Westland, died. Store owner Paul Franks, a Plymouth Township resident, remains in critical condition at the U-M Trauma Burn Center. Three Canton wrestlers, Anthony Abro, 189 pounds; Ben Poirier, 215; and Ben Griffin, 103, finished a home tournament with 5-0 results. On Friday, power fizzled for about 2,800 of DTE's Canton customers after an equipment failure at a substation, according to a company spokesman. Canton …
Friday, December 31, 2010
Paul W. Franks, owner of the Williams C. Franks Furniture Store in Wayne, is being treated at the U-M Trauma Burn Center.
Paul W. Franks, owner of the William C. Franks Furniture Store in Wayne that was leveled Wednesday morning after a gas explosion, is currently in critical condition and is being treated at the U-M Trauma Burn Center in Ann Arbor. Franks, whose father opened the furniture store in 1946, was transported to the hospital by Canton firefighters shortly after the explosion at 9 a.m. Wednesday. Franks lives in Plymouth Township off North Territorial Road near Sheldon. The Wayne community was grieving the loss of the store and Franks' condition. Wayne City Manager John Zech counts Franks as a personal friend and an important member of the Wayne business community. "This is our comunity. We all know each other," said Carrie Shelton, Zech's …
Thursday, December 30, 2010
Wide-ranging community support for emergency workers included Salvation Army canteen truck from Plymouth.
- VOLUNTEERS IN THE NEWS
- Peg McNichol
Thursday, December 30, 2010
Minutes after an explosion dropped the roof of the William C. Franks Furniture into the store, volunteers from Plymouth and Canton mobilized. Wayne firefighters were aided by 23 area agencies in the blasts' aftermath. The body of one victim, store employee James Zell, 64, was discovered in the rubble late Wednesday; the body of another store employee, a yet unidentified woman, was recovered after 10 p.m. Wednesday. Canton firefighters helped transport store owner Paul Franks to U-M Trauma Burn Center shortly after the explosion, where he was in serious but stable condition Wednesday night, according to Wayne officials. Canton Township loaned two ambulances and a mobile command center to the effort. The Salvation Army keeps four mobile …
Wednesday, December 29, 2010
Updated 9:41 p.m.: Drivers are asked to avoid Wayne Road near where explosion leveled furniture store Wednesday morning, killing one.
As rescue workers continued to pick through debris after an explosion nearly leveled a Wayne furniture store Wednesday morning, drivers were asked to avoid the area over the next several days. Wayne Police Chief Jason Wright said in a news conference Wednesday evening that debris, including broken glass, remained on South Wayne Road after a 9 a.m. blast rocked the William C. Franks Furniture store, causing the roof to collapse. One person was killed and at least one more was injured. The City of Wayne declared a state of emergency at 7:50 p.m. to pay for the 23 departments providing mutual aid. Wayne Road is shut down from Michigan Avenue to Glenwood. Second Street is also closed, between Glenwood and Sims Avenue. The store is at 2945 S. …